Dub has the heart of an entrepreneur. And marketer. He’s always saying things like, “I want to open a restaurant and name it ____,” or, “I wish I was old enough to start my own ______ business.” I love this quality about him, so this summer I wanted to show him that he can bring his ideas to life.
We chose to hone his kidpreneurial ambitions through his dream of owning an ice cream truck because,
his mom really likes ice cream what better timing than summer break? He immediately knew he would name it “The Scoop” and his pitch would be “Get a scoop, double scoop at The Scoop!” I encouraged him and Eve to brainstorm some ice cream flavors. They each came up with two ideas and we’ve been enthusiastically experimenting to finalize our menu.
Today we landed on our first unanimous winner that he named Cookie Crunch Blast. It’s a slightly modified version of this fab recipe by Crunchy Creamy Sweet that’s actually a frozen yogurt that’s just as tasty as ice cream. Despite the name, there’s no real crunch, but it is definitely a super-sweet cookie blast for the tastebuds.
What you need:
- 1/2 C. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 C. packed brown sugar
- 1/4 C. granulated sugar
- 2 t. vanilla extract (I ran out of vanilla, so I used 1 t. vanilla and 1 t. almond which was SO good!)
- 1 C. flour
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 C. mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 C. crushed crunchy-style chocolate chip cookies (we used Chips Ahoy because it’s what we had on hand)
- 1 C. vanilla yogurt (My favorite is Dannon Lite & Fit Vanilla flavor)
- First, mix the butter and sugars with a mixer.
- Then, in a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add chocolate chips and crushed cookies.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until well combined, then thoroughly mix in the yogurt.
- Freeze overnight in a sealed container, then fight the urge to eat it for breakfast.
That’s it! No fancy ice cream maker necessary. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!
For those of you who have asked where I got the ice cream container, I found it on a clearance shelf at TJ Maxx, but you can also buy it online in several colors on Amazon. I’m going to buy several so I can have several flavors sitting in my freezer at once 🙂